SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#271511 - 09/20/09 09:14 AM Tyros 3 fails to carry "Adiemus"
bomba6 Offline

Loc: Israel
Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpFDWZSLCrg

Sounds amazing!!
But apparently, it exceeds the Tyros' max polyphony....

#271512 - 09/20/09 09:34 AM Re: Tyros 3 fails to carry "Adiemus"
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd think that it's possibly a side effect of the SA2 processing. It seemed to be doing something to the timing.... all that mod wheel input.

That's that new vocal pack, isn't it?

#271513 - 09/20/09 10:52 AM Re: Tyros 3 fails to carry "Adiemus"
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Unlikely to be Ram, as even the old Ram used by Yamaha can shift Data faster then any human can play. (As far as I am aware it doesn’t use disk streaming)
Polyphony is also probably not likely, as the drop outs are not consistent and the timing (As Diki mentioned) also seems to vary.
My guess would be not enough processing power, (Although a relatively new board, the hardware inside is quite old) which doesn’t bode well for future expansion packs. (The upside of this is that Yamaha will have to make Tyros 4 with the newest and latest technology)
Alternatively it could just be a faulty board. (We will have to wait to see if it’s identified by any other owners)
Good sound though, if perhaps a little too warm to be totally convincing. (The compressed Yamaha sound seems to be rearing its ugly head again)

#271514 - 09/20/09 12:48 PM Re: Tyros 3 fails to carry "Adiemus"
mdorantes Online   content

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Just my opinion:

To my taste, player abuse of MOC, Melody on chord, and not just that, seems that purposely holds from second 48 about 52 unnecessary chord in right hand, anyone can make choke any current board, depending what you do in your playing.

I had demonstrating keyboards in the pass, and now developing some software, I had learn a trick or two.

Choking on the my old SD1 that´s what made me change brands, since 64 notes where not in off, because of the internal architecture that allocates 3 notes PER key played, with that, and if you play a 4 or 5 note chord in right hand and also depends if you have layer sounds, that duplicates as many times layers and notes per key played, besides controllers like sustain, wheel, etc, so, is very easy to choke a keyboard, T2,T3 included.

Curiously in off, the Korg arrangers seem to have a faster dynamic note allocation than other brands, I remember that it was more challenging make choke the PA 60 (with only 62 notes poly), than 128 poly for the PSR 3000 and later the T2.
Now the current Korgs have even more polyphony, on the PA 500,588,(80) and in the 800,2X (120).

------------------
mdorantes

#271515 - 09/20/09 01:37 PM Re: Tyros 3 fails to carry "Adiemus"
Diki Offline

So far, I haven't managed to hear ANY 'choke' on my G70. And I am VERY picky about timing and feel.

In fact, when I first got it, the speed of response and ability to stack a bunch of stereo voices with zero (I repeat, ZERO) flamming was the first thing I noticed.

About the only time I can hear any slowdown at all is when I try to use the Guitar Mode, which has to do a LOT of computation before the chord sounds. The timing of the style doesn't move, though, just the guitar chord you are playing. Roland need to work on how fast that works before they can integrate it into the regular style mode (which is one of the things I hope they are working hard at ).

Bottom line is, if you are choking a 128 voice arranger, you are probably getting into muddy mix country, anyway

#271516 - 09/20/09 02:14 PM Re: Tyros 3 fails to carry "Adiemus"
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I've never 'choked' a keyboard either, arranger or otherwise. Maybe it's because I never play 'plush' arrangements. Could it possibly be caused by voltage flucuations? Anybody remember the old 'B3' trick of momentarily switching the organ off and back on to get that same effect. Of course, that was electric motors winding down and back up. You usually did it while holding a key down in a clean break. Ahhhh, the good old days.

chas

#271517 - 09/20/09 02:36 PM Re: Tyros 3 fails to carry "Adiemus"
Diki Offline

It sounds to me like playback isn't given the highest priority when heavy computation is having to be made (deciding which of the vast number of samples is going to be played depending on how you play or controller input is a pretty daunting task for a realtime process)...

Most of what SA2 has to deal with is primarily monophonic lead sounds (sax, clarinet etc.). If a complex set of behaviors is set to work on a dense polyphonic sounds (like those voices), it is unsurprising that it might have to do a LOT more computation to pull it off. But it should NOT do so at the expense of the timing of the style section. CPU resource allocation needs to be prioritized to achieve this, IMO....

Thing is, this rarely ever is doable at the OS level. This is usually a function of the voice generation VLSIC chip, rather than the OS CPU. I wouldn't expect to see any 'fix' for this. It's likely you'll have to wait for a new generation of voice chips that respond faster, IMO.

#271518 - 09/20/09 03:23 PM Re: Tyros 3 fails to carry "Adiemus"
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Just checked on the YPKO site and it has been picked up on there, http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=21433.0 it seems it is a known problem that is being worked on.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online